Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Upon the Midnight Clear

Upon the Midnight Clear by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I felt like there was something missing from this book. I liked it, but I think it could have been better. The storytelling seemed basic--not something I'm used to with Ms. Kenyon. I get that this was supposed to be short story, but it was a little too barebones for me. The characters (other than Aidan) just didn't seem to come to life for me, which is atypical for a Sherrilyn Kenyon story. My biggest issue is the short length. I think that keeping this short really restricted the complexity of this story, and it really did need more depth. I think this would have been a great novella, but it falls short of greatness as a novella, unfortunately.

What I liked:

*Aidan was a good hero. I could see why he was so bitter and sad. He'd been let down by people he was supposed to trust, people he'd do just about anything for. It was interesting that he was a movie star, what that entailed. I did appreciate how Ms. Kenyon wrote about the negative aspects of fame, although Aidan always had a good head on his shoulders. If he was a real guy, he'd be a movie star I'd respect as a person. I would love to see that movie Alabaster, that he was in. It sounds good.
*Leta was good too, although I thought that I could have used more elaboration about her backstory. It was a nice change for the heroine to be the one driven by vengeance.
*There was a good romance here, although I needed more depth to be great.
*It was good to see Deimos again. I liked him in The Dream Hunter. Hope he shows up again.
*I liked how we got to see various people who we've met in the Dark-Hunter world celebrate Christmas. It brought back some happy memories of reading their stories, and made me eager to read the following books in this series.
*I loved the fantastical elements, especially the worlds that Lyssa created. Very freaky and weird. Nice touch.

I think every author has a book that's not so great. Unfortunately, this is probably the one I'd name for Ms. Kenyon. I think she's a very talented author, and I enjoy reading her books. I just needed a richer longer book for this one to shine as brightly as it could have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Upon the Midnight Clear.

Debbie The Dream Hunters series didn't start out so well for me, but they are getting better.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I liked the first one more than this. In general, it's an interesting concept.

Zeek This was my least favorite book- mainly because I felt ripped off- I got it at full novel price... when I pay that price I expect a novel not a novella and you're right that's exactly what it was- only packaged in novel form with larger font!

I did think the ending was uber romantic even though the rest of it was fairly forgettable. (I also got the idea that Kenyon was getting back at her detractors with some of Aiden's bitter rants...)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Zeek, we are on the same wavelength. The ending almost made me give it four stars.

Kenyon has had a hellish time with some of her so-called fans, so I could see this story as therapy.

Zeek oh and I did like the following Dream Hunter novels much better- especially Dream Warrior... but Dream Chaser was good too! :) (Def. important to read them as they are crossing over into Dark Hunter territory!)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm glad the next books are better. Does she have a story for Deimos?

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Great review Danielle!

Zeek No- not yet anyway!

Debbie The first Dream Hunter book is my least favorite. I just didn't have the same kick in the pants that the Dark Hunters books gave me.

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I liked the first one more than this. In general, it's an interesting concept."

message 10: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle!
Dream Hunter series always has some very sexy covers

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Ronyell and Rane--the covers are great. I think I'm in the minority in that I really liked The Dream Hunter. I enjoyed the mythology elements. It was cool how she showed Hades and how Persephone had him wrapped around her fingers. I'm a Greek mythology nerd. LOL.

Zeek, I hope she does write a story for Deimos. He's interesting. Also Sorin from The Dream Hunter.

message 12: by Zeek (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zeek I bet she is- he seems so complicated and the one's she complicates she eventually tells a story about! ;)

It's been awhile... I can't remember Sorin...

message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell I love Greek mythology too Danielle! I just love reading anything that deals with the Greek Gods and learning about what they stand for.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm sorry. I think it's Solin. He was Arik's brother in The Dream Hunter. Ronyell, you should check out these books if you like Greek myths.

message 15: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Thanks!!! I will!!

message 17: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell :)

message 18: by B. (new)

B.  Barron Sounds like a classic case of “TSTNE” – The Series that Never Ends!
Almost all authors fall into this trap I am afraid – but there comes a point when we as readers need to stop rewarding them for mediocre stories churned out to simply make money from an established franchise (not that there is anything wrong with that IF they stories continue to be entertaining and engaging).
At 14 books I probably would have abandoned the series long ago, then again maybe not.
Be Well

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I don't mind ongoing series, if they continue to be well-written. I like to see what the other characters are up to.