Jessica's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Aug 03, 07

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in January, 1999

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca i liked this -- read it for the first course i took in college, autobiography. (we read autobiogaphies and wrote our own autobiographical stories.) Jon and i have an ongoing debate about memoir, which he doesn't think is a legitimate category. it gets pretty intense. he thinks something should be called autobiography and that if it is called memoir it is sensationalized and not worth reading. while it is often the case that memoirs are about people's sad stories about taking too many drugs etc. I don't defend the category's existence but i accept it and the style of book. i think of the memoir category as shorter, more segmented autobiography -- often about a particular incident or series of incidents.

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Sep 01, 2007 10:49AM) (new)

Rebecca odd, another book on your list made into a movie i saw with angelina jolie.

Jessica I think I'm with you on the memoir debate. It can be a really powerful way to tell a story, when it's done right. When I hear autobiography, I think of something that is supposed to encompass a whole life, whereas a memoir can tell just one story from a person's life. This book really hit me when I read it as a depressed teenager.

And yes, I used to have sort of a thing for Angelina Jolie. Although I read this before the movie was made.