Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > Send Me a Sign

Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-dac, contemporary-ya, netgalley, 2012, tough-subject
Read from September 28 to 30, 2012

Send Me a Sign was such a cute yet shockingly realistic portrait of what one might go through if diagnosed with cancer at such a tender age. I expected this novel to read like one of those Lurlene McDaniel books I frequently read when I was twelve, but it's not sappy and overly sad as I had predicted. Instead, this book takes a tragic situation and makes it a learning experience, a lesson in love and betrayal.

Alienating her friends was probably the worst decision Mia made through this whole battle with cancer, and it truly comes back to haunt her. When they do finally find out the truth, they feel betrayed, and Mia is left feeling more alone than ever. She's on the brink of self-destruction, and the one person she would normally turn to isn't there for her. Mia's pushed even her best friend away with her lies. This book is nothing, if not brutally honest. And I loved that.

I was first drawn to this novel by that cover. I've always loved dandelions...even when my dad was complaining that I was only making more weeds for him to mow down by blowing the feathery tuft of the plant into the air. But to me, a dandelion was full of possibilities, a hundred unspoken wishes, floating on the wind.

This book is about taking chances, risks, and living life to the fullest with no regrets. It's about following through and following your heart. For every sign Mia found, Gyver was there to ground her. He was her rock throughout her ordeal and he tried to keep her safe and sane when her world threatened to fall apart, even when she took the looking-for-a-sign thing a little too far.

The characters are all very realistic and funny and quirky in their own ways. I had a good idea how this novel was going to end, but it took a very different path to get there than I expected, which I found delightful, even if it was kind of sad along the way. I found this novel very enjoyable, but if you need more than my opinion, the awesome Courtney Summers also loved it. Yeah. :)

Thanks to Bloomsbury and Netgalley for providing a copy for review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Send Me a Sign.

09/28/2012 page 159
41.0% "The Nook going dead means it's time to go to bed. :P"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by bekah (new) - added it

bekah LOL, I read all of Lurlene McDaniel's books in one fell swoop at age thirteen...not a good idea, and I got a reputation among my friends as a really morbid person.

And then later I read better books along the same lines and it was like a whole new world opened up. Like The Fault In Our Stars. No comparison, seriously.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) I have TFiOS on my shelf, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm waiting till I'm in the mood for another sad book. I'm glad it's better than those books we read as tweens. And I'm right there with you...I had to stop letting my friends know what I was reading back then for the same reason. LOL.