Celia's Reviews > Harris and Me

Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

F_50x66
Aug 28, 12

“Harris and Me” ended up being a very pleasant read for me. At first, I didn’t think I was going to like it because of the super rural setting and the clearly non modern time feel of it, but as I began to read, I got into it feeling like I was the character. I think this book could be a great tool to use in the middle school classroom. It offers a perspective that many students are not used to and the ones that are can relate to the book, which can draw them in. The perspective which I am talking about is the idea of moving around from home to home whether in the foster care system, or within their family. This book also contains good discussion prompts such as peer pressure. Because it is in first person, the reader can see what the narrator is thinking, and I think middle school students can relate to the protagonist especially because middle school students often feel pressured into things and they do them even though they don’t agree because they don’t want to be judged. I never recall finding out the narrator’s name, and I think that makes it possible for the reader to relate and almost put themselves in the shoes of the protagonist. This book is a great hilarious entertaining quick read with a lot of great discussion points, and I would more than likely utilize this book in my classroom.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harris and Me.