Dot Gumbi's Reviews > The Dice Man

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

M_50x66
Aug 28, 12

Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Roll a die. If it lands even, read this book. If it lands odd, read this book twice.

But if you want to know a bit more…

I don’t like superheroes. I don’t like comic book dudes with capes and magical powers they obtained because of radiation or scientific experiments gone wrong. I just can’t relate to them. I’ve tried, but they leave me feeling miserable. And inadequate. Even Batman, with his fortune, leaves me feeling like a bit of a loser. I want a superhero I can believe one. One that allows me to fully understand what it’s like to have those powers.

You too could have powers and live like a super-hero. All you need is a die. And a blatant disregard for moral responsibility. And a rather dark sense of humour. And that’s it. You’re ready to go.

The Dice Man, is about a psychiatrist who on a whim rolls a dice to help him make a decision whether or not to pursue relations with his colleagues wife. The dice says he should do it, so he does it. As the book develops so does his obsession and it’s not long before he's developing this method of living on his patients and opening up dice centres around the USA, which are openly criticised by the press and media.

The die is just a device really to allow a rather amusing deadpan dark humoured character to engage in numerous personality transplants. But it’s written so honestly, so well, that you actually believe it happened.

A must read.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dice Man.