Laurel's Reviews > Home

Home by Marilynne Robinson

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from April 24 to 25, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed Marilynne Robinson's Gilead and was looking forward to reading her follow-up, which contains many of the same beloved characters. However, it occurred to me while reading this (or listening to it) that Gilead really stands best on its own. While I found this to be a decent enough read, it was slow going, and without all that much reward in the end. It also did not contain the quiet resplendence or thoughtfulness that made Gilead such a delight to read. With Gilead, I often found myself pausing to absorb a thought, or even to write down a phrase or observation that I found particularly insightful or poetic. This was not the case with Home. While I appreciated Robinson's descriptive writing style and her quiet way of bringing all her characters "home," the story dragged a bit for me. Still a worthwhile read, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Gilead is one of my top 10 books ever, Laurel, and because I've been afraid of just what you say in your review, Home has been sitting on my bookshelf for months. I'll read it sometime soon, but I am so reluctant to interfere with the Gilead experience that I keep choosing other books!

message 2: by Laurel (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laurel I know what you mean, Wilhelmina. Gilead really is such a wonderful book on its own, and I didn't want to damper that in the event the follow-up wasn't as good. You may enjoy Home more than I did, as I tend to be a bit of an impatient reader when a book is not meeting my expectations early on. In some ways, the book actually made me appreciate Gilead all the more because it was (in my opinion) so superior to the follow up. I'd actually like to read it again now. :)