Vio's Reviews > Hostile Takeover

Hostile Takeover by E.M. Lynley

I was left feeling unsatisfied with the romance and both MC's were a bit of a hit and miss throughout. I had the same issues as MandyM did, the last quarter was the best part of the story and for that it gets 3 stars.

ETA: Since the blow-up and the fanfic debacle I will leave it unrated. Now if only the author had just let it go and not made such a big deal about removing the links to the fanfic for readers to compare.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hostile Takeover.

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Why would you mark the author down for the file thing? I heard stories of a couple of authors who lost contracts for published books because their old fan fiction stories were still posted online and another person said on Facebook this year her publisher almost canceled her contract until she took it down.

Even the old stories are copyrighted or the fileshare websites won't take them down. Maybe the publsher wanted them pulled. They won't sell books if free versions are available. It doesn't seem fair to the author if she is protecting her contract with a publisher.

message 2: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio I don't care if this is fanfic or not that's not the point here. The author could have said that these were originally old fan fic stories, instead of trying so hard to hide it, upfront is best. I am not going to get into an argument here about my opinions.

Adrian Anderson Yes, exactly Vio. But no, avoid that fact and let the unsuspecting buy. Apparently that's A-okay for Lynley and her underlings. Not to mention it being a sub par product.

message 4: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Great review. I'll be avoiding this one.

message 5: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Great review. I'll be avoiding this one."

Thanks MLE, I wont be reading anymore from this author.

message 6: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Great review. I'll be avoiding this one."

Thanks MLE, I wont be reading anymore from this author."

Understandable. It's not an author I'm going to see out either. Not cool.

message 7: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Great review. I'll be avoiding this one."

Thanks MLE, I wont be reading anymore from this author."

Understandable. It's not an author I'm going to see out either. Not cool."

No it wasn't and what a huge hullabaloo at the time.

message 8: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired.

message 9: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they can't be honest about it. I am over the preciousness.

message 10: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they can't be honest about it.
I am over the preciousness."

You and me both.

Done, over it.

It does bother me when people pull to publish fanfiction because I wrote fanfiction years ago, and one of the things you have to do to have it published on any site I ever used was to write a disclaimer that stated that you made NO MONEY from your work. To re-write it with a few minor tweaks seems dishonest to me, and against everything you agreed to when you wrote that disclaimer. I'd hate to see fanfiction hurt becuase people decided to try to make money from it.

To top it off with lies is just icing on that nasty cake.

message 11: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they can't be honest about it.
I am over the preciousne..."

I didnt know you wrote MLE, any examples for me? I am such a newbie to this and really never thought about what the rules are and trying to make money from it. What bothers me a lot is the cover up and lies. I am sure there is a lot of pull to publish out there we have no idea about and that sucks.

message 12: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

I am over t..."

Everything I wrote for fan fiction was for an anime series (mostly because it had lots of characters) years and years ago, and I never finished them. They were all het, but if you are really curious I can post the link. They still are on fanfiction.net and every once in awhile I get a review asking for them to be finished. I probably should one of these days.

message 13: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they can't be honest about it. ..."

I am really curious, please post a link for me. I wouldn't mind checking it out. Awwww they must want you to start writing again, too bad you don't feel the urge again. Maybe one day?

message 14: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they can't be hone..."

I am going to try my very best to finish na no. I throught abiut it two years ago, I failed miserably last year, but I really want to do it this year.

This is me.

jayanx

I'll admit it I wrote for Naruto, but the cast was huge, and when I started writing they were lots of characters that nobody knew all that much about, so it made it fun because I could pretty much make them whatever I wanted.

message 15: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond me why they c..."

Bookmarked for later, thanks!

message 16: by MLE (new) - added it

MLE Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep! its beyond ..."

Sure, I'm not ashamed. I kind of like they way they were turning out.

message 17: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "Vio wrote: "MLE wrote: "I'm sick of author's acting like this. It made me angry, and now it's just makes me tired."

Yep!..."

:D

Plainbrownwrapper Hey -- I missed the whole fanfic blowup thing. I don't want to rehash it, but I'm curious -- what was this fanfic of?

message 19: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Plainbrownwrapper wrote: "Hey -- I missed the whole fanfic blowup thing. I don't want to rehash it, but I'm curious -- what was this fanfic of?"

It was J2 fanfiction - Demon Tongue.

message 20: by Plainbrownwrapper (last edited Nov 02, 2013 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Plainbrownwrapper I don't even know what J2 is!

eta -- nevermind, I looked it up! I know the series, but I know nothing about all these little fanfic subsubsubgenres. ;-)

Thanks for the info!

message 21: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Plainbrownwrapper wrote: "I don't even know what J2 is!"

Jared and Jensen from Supernatural.