Laura Salas's Reviews > Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

Aug 28, 12

Read in August, 2012

I liked this middle-grade novel, but not as much as the first book. I wish I could give it a 3-1/2. The writing was excellent--Hale is so good at creating characters and putting us into their world. Like the Hunger Games second and third books, this just became too much about politics to me. It is grounded in Miri's life and her personal choices and desire to make change, and I hope lots of kids find it inspiring and motivating. But the plot itself just wasn't as of much interest to me--stories of rebellion and class war and politics just aren't my thing.
(view spoiler)

--------------------------

Coming down from the mountain to a new life in the city seems a thrill beyond imagining. When Miri and her friends from Mount Eskel set off to help the future princess Britta prepare for her royal wedding, she is happy about her chance to attend school in the capital city. There, Miri befriends students who seem so sophisticated and exciting . . . until she learns that they have some frightening plans. They think that Miri will help them, that she "should" help them. Soon Miri finds herself torn between loyalty to the princess and her new friends' ideas, between an old love and a new crush, and between her small mountain home and the bustling city. Picking up where "Princess Academy" left off, this incredible stand-alone story celebrates the joys of friendship, the delight of romance, and the fate of a beloved fairy tale kingdom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace of Stone.