The Cats Mother's Reviews > Killer Instinct

5720552
Aug 31, 2012

bookshelves: e-book, series, read-in-2012, action-or-suspense-thrillers
Read from August 28 to September 01, 2012

I was lent the 6th book in this series with the comment that it's about "the female Jack Reacher". Intrigued, I looked the series up and read enough reviews to realize I wanted to read them in order. Luckily I found the ebooks going cheap on amazon and snapped up the first 5. I've got various other paperbacks on the go but being able to read the iPad when I wake up too early (jet lag) without waking the hubby was a good excuse to start this, then of course I had to keep going.
I'm not sure about the Reacher comparison, maybe that comes later - Charlie is softer and more vulnerable, and not just because of her size and gender, her past is a lot darker. She has friends and a life in one place, at least as it begins.
This is about how she takes a job working security in a nightclub in Morecambe, a rather decrepit seaside town on the Northwest coast of England. Coincidentally, we spent a night there recently en route to Scotland. I had never heard of it but was curious to have a look, it was by the sea (but not Blackpool) and not far off our route. We drove through Lancaster, which is where Charlie lives in the book, so it helped being able to picture the place as she rides her bike through it. It's a smart looking town by day, but the descriptions of the seedy side were totally believable.
The plot was a little clumsy, and the denouement predictable, including the baddies, but I enjoyed the characters and look forward to reading the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Instinct.