Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Orchardist

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

Sep 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012, coming-of-age, fiction, favorites, historic-fiction
Read from August 27 to 29, 2012

There are books that are beautiful pieces of fiction that fade quickly from memory, and then there are beautiful pieces of fiction that linger and and slowly impress more and more meaning into memory until you are overwhelmed by how exquisitely done they are. The latter is The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin.

This is such a quiet story - the dialog is sparse and doesn't stand out from the story as a whole, but rather fits into a stream of consciousness that includes nature and an entire group of people in such a way that.. I just don't know how to describe it. It's beautiful. I have been ranting over this book to literature students at school, unable to keep my gushing praise from just one aspect of the book, but flitting from one to another, finding an abundance of things to talk about.

There's the descriptions - so beautiful and so vivid that I could see the orchard in my mind's eye and I could feel the grass beneath my feet and smell the fruit. There's a particularly harsh scene where I could hear the screams, feel the heat of the room, and felt my body ache with the pain two young women were experiencing. Every step in the journey through this book had me enraptured - I had to know more, to feel more, to see more. I cried, heart-rending sobs over the fate of one character and the lack of options available to her. I felt enormous pity and love for another character and wished I could just hold him and give him the few comforts he desired. I wanted to mother another character, and to strike down the other. I felt such a violent range of emotions that it was like I was riding a roller-coaster and could not see what was just around the bend.

I am stunned that this is a debut from author Amanda Coplin. I could only hope that someday I could write something as profoundly moving as I found The Orchardist to be.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchardist.

Annie the lack of dialog is what impresses most ... I love this book!

Stepheny I haven't read this one yet, it is near the top of my (never-ending) list, but your review of this is precisely how I felt after reading Olive Kitteridge. The more I think about the book after reading it the more it grows on me. Not sure if you have read Olive or not, but I strongly recommend it. :)