Lisa's Reviews > Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Dec 24, 08

Read in December, 2008

I discovered this author through her children's books, which display her sense of humor. In this book, she shows us her truly unique take on the world with Seinfeld-like observations.

As she says in the foreword, "I was not abused, abandoned or locked up as a child. My parents were not alcoholics, nor were they ever divorced or dead. I am not a misunderstood genius, a former child celebrity, or the child of a celebrity. I am not a drug addict, a sex addict, or recovered anything. If I indeed had a past life, I have no recollection of who I was. I have not survived against all odds. I have not lived to tell. I have not witnessed the extraordinary. This is my story."

If there's humor on the copyright page, followed by a Reader's Agreement, you know you're in for a wild ride. And I could relate to a lot of it, like this particular entry under G: Gas Tank, "Every. Single. Solitary. Time I go to get gas I have to lean out the window to see which side the tank is on." Ok, I don't have to do this every time, but I shouldn't have to think about it years after purchasing my car!

Rosenthal is currently working on an intriguing project called The Beckoning of Lovely -- check out her web site to find out more. It's not her first foray into public "art" projects. She mentions a couple in her book. If you watch the YouTube movie of her current project, you can see links to some of her earlier ones, like 8/8/8 (which is a pretty cool one).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.