Isis's Reviews > Dark Currents

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey

Aug 27, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, paranormal-sci-fi-and-or-fantasy
Read from August 31 to September 03, 2012

Let me begin by stating that aim a HUGE fan of Ms. Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series, as well as Santa Olivia (the sequel of which, "Saints Astray," I've yet to read), and I began to read from The Sundering series but got distracted and need to get back once I can separate the disraction from the books. . . So this shows that while I'm rabid about some of the author's work (most), a few don't seem to grab me the same way.

I almost cried for joy upon learning that I was one of the lucky winners of the "Dark Currents" ARC giveaway here at Goodreads. I'd been so excited to see the book listed that I went online in an attempt to buy it (as often times giveaway books are already for sale, or available online), only to discover that it really was an ARC.

So on to the meat of the review. If you've read any of my other reviews you'll know that I try to avoid giving a summary of the book. Read the back or inside jacket for the teaser synopsis - this is not filling that role. My initial reaction to the first thirty pages or so was one of disappointment. It wasn't that I was not enjoying the material, I just wasn't as awed by the characters and storyline as I'd hoped to be. I'll admit to harboring unrealistically high expectations.

This book reads more like "Santa Olivia" than "Kushiel's Dart," and that is what had me feeling let down (not that "Santa Olivia" isn't good, it just isn't "Kushiel's Dart" good). But as the book progressed, so to did the characters. And I found myself feeling more interested in them and in the plot as it began to unfold in myriad ways. I did notice that the main character, Daisy, has a sexual freedom (at least mentally) such as you would find in almost any of the characters from the Kushiel's Legacy series - in particular the first trilogy in that series. However please don't think that this book is filled with sex scenes, as it isn't. At all. All I meant is that Daisy has a running attraction to a solid half the beings she meets, not that she acts on those attractions.

While the characters grow on you, the book just doesn't feel as original to me as the Kushiel's Legacy books. It is well written, and I only found one glaring typo (in an ARC copy), but lacks that completely unique aspect that the Kushiel's story has. Again not to say that "Dark Currents" doesn't have a distinct personality of its own, just that it is more similar to other books I have been reading of late than dissimilar.

Once the story gets going there is a nice, steady pace throughout, and enough forward action to allow for some interesting introspection by Daisy, who still has a great deal to learn about herself - on several levels. She is a relatable character, and someone that I envision as a friend. Her story, as well as those of numerous other characters, drive the plot nicely. And all this combined left me wanting more, as there is plenty ahead for Daisy and her reader friends to learn, together. And hopefully Daisy is as excited about that as I am!

Definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series, and wilting at the thought of having so long to wait to find out what is going to happen next!!! A "goodread" all around!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Currents.