Eileen Souza's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Sep 18, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, fantasy-scifi, north-america, ya
Read in September, 2012

An interesting mash up - post apocalyptic dystopian future with middle ages living, freakishly smart technology, and women prevented from walking without their legal male protectors. Just the environment for a strong-willed, intelligent to tomboy to break the rules and pay the consequences.

I enjoyed the story, and in many ways could not put this book down. For a first in a series of X (brand new people, so you'll be waiting awhile for book 2)there was not a slow development of characters. The story started pounding along, and you'd better catch up. However, what you did see of the world was fascinating, and you quickly knew what these characters were dealing with.

Generally I fall in love with a character in the first book, and in the second book, they are broken in spirit, and want to give up, and I get mildly annoyed. However, Rachel dealt with so much in the first book, I'm kind of afraid to even read the second one. She has already been broken. She has already been dealt with powerful blows.

Author Jodi Meadows says that in order to write a good story, you have to be really mean to your characters. CJ Redwine took this statement to HEART. Not sure how she will top it in the next one. it almost felt like Ron and Harry making consistently worse predictions for their divination homework.

Enjoyable. I'll read the next one for sure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.