Julia Muldoon's Reviews > Showtime

Showtime by Chloe Kayne

Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: ya-historical, ya-circus
Read from December 14 to 30, 2012

This book has great atmosphere, and makes me want to go to circus school. Do I ever want to be an aerialist.

It starts with a best friend almost being beaten to death and Laila who witnesses this and is being held responsible for it, but didn’t have anything to do with it. It was a harsh scene to get through, but it does set the darker tone for the book.

And then it gets better. All of a sudden things start getting better. She joins the circus in this odd stream of events, goes through school and chores and makes new friends. She starts forming a life outside of her ugly past that she has managed to escape.

But not everything is as perfect as can be. And with all the new light in her life, there are still edges of darkness. Some performers are catty and vindictive and out to claw there way to the top, and will take out those who seam threatening to them.

There is also this tens love story and magnetic attraction. Everyone warns Laila to stay away from Dex, because of his shady past but no one elaborates. And Laila won’t ask questions because she has demons of her own she doesn’t want to confront. The love story is a slow boil, but it is so delicious once it starts heating up.

The middle of the book is this sweet hopeful uplifting things get better kind of deal, with shades of darkness on the edge. The end bookends the beginning with it’s very dark tones.

I loved the dark and moody tones of this book. I will definitely be following the rest of this series!

This book has popped up on a lot of YA lists on Goodreads, but it has great crossover appeal to all ages. It is also self-pubbed and besides a few typos, is very professionally well done. I don't normally read self pubs, however the cover totally grabbed me, and the description totally appealed to me. Add to that a free review copy and I was delighted to pick this up in a flash to enjoy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Showtime.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new) - added it

Chloe Kayne Thanks for your review!!