Krissa's Reviews > The Long Goodbye

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Aug 17, 07

Recommended for: Stuart, Conrad

[borrowed from the kate]

Oh, GODS, goodreads! You shouldn't let me write a 500 word review and then lose it because i clicked "edit shelves" expecting a pop-up window.

Excuse me while I mourn. So, what was I saying? Oh. The Long Goodbye, well, you will be forgiven for standing in the middle third of the book wondering if all these threads that Chandler gave you to hold, three or four of them, if he'd mind if you put them down for a few minutes? As he doesn't seem to be busy with them?

He really takes his time with Marlowe in this book. There isn't a neat crime with a cop situation with some unraveling and dead ends and then the big denouement. There's some crime, some whiskey, weeks with no action, a completely new group of people and their problems, some cops and robbers... you know, threads!

But then the last, let's say, 50-80 pages, Chandler starts to cascade gently but with purpose to his end game and it really is very well mastered, because there's no REALLY noticeable gear shift but Marlowe has been quietly putting pieces together and somehow, with very little loud drama but with drama nonethless, we see what's been going on during all that thread-holding.

There. Not sure it's quite the review it was the first time and I'm being very vague about threads (but cmon it's a gumshoe! there's dames and darkened doorways and rides up the Pacific!) but trust me, it's worth any slowness you might feel.

Also, the title works on several very nice levels. There. I'm going to hit SAVE now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Goodbye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conrad (last edited Aug 17, 2007 08:46AM) (new)

Conrad I've never read the book, but Robert Altman made a very funny and moving movie out of it, with Elliott Gould as a really flaky Marlowe.

There's this great scene in the beginning where he tries to fool his cat into eating a cat food the cat doesn't like by putting it in a different can... sounds stupid when I type it, but it's hilarious. He also lives next door to these three charmingly dippy, yoga-practicing lesbians. I always wonder how much of the movie comes from the book; probably not much.

Krissa Okay, from the two examples you've just listed? Just the name.