Jennifer's Reviews > The Silver Metal Lover

The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee

Aug 28, 12

This is the first book I read by Tanith Lee. I found a used book-club copy in the Strand bookstore in NYC sometime about 1985, when I was 16 or so. Seeing as Jane/Jain was also 16, I remember being floored by the strong feeling of identification with the character.

I have always found Ms. Lee's writing to be lyrically descriptive. I remember wanting a peacock jacket just like Jain's. (Someday maybe I'll make one.) The characters are well developed, especially Jain, her mother and Clovis. I especially like Clovis. Egyptia is beautifully shallow.

What makes us human? What do we do when the line between man and machine gets blurred? We're a lot closer to that point now than when I was 16. Back then, it all seemed so unlikely; computers were much less sophisticated, and not everyone had one. There were very few people on the internet, most people did not know what it was. (We had a service called Q-Link, for Commodore computers. It was VERY rudimentary. Some bulletin boards and chat rooms, that's all.)We had land lines and dial-up modems.

I still keep a copy of this book, and I also have a copy of the graphic novel that was published in the late 80's. I re-read it every year, and it reminds me of how it felt to be a 16-year-old girl. Like Jain, I was 'not thin'. I love how she blossomed with Silver, stopped letting her mother control her, and do what she loved for a living, with the 'man' she loved. I wanted to do the same. What an adventure that would be!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Metal Lover.