D. Hope's Reviews > Harris and Me

Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from August 27 to 29, 2012

This is a book that will keep the middle schooler entertained. I believe it will be good for both genders. It is a story that is easy to relate to. The cousins who are true opposites are entertained by each other during the summer due to the drinking problem of the city cousin's parents. The city cousin knows nothing of the farm life, and on his first day alone has several encounters such as an attempt at smoking tobacco, Vivian the kicking cow, and Ernie the attacking rooster. The character Louie has a very interesting hobby of creating a hand carved winter logging camp complete with grey fur for the horses and fur coats for some of the men. Where the fur came from is an additional adventure which includes the Lynx cat named Buzzer. This book literally made me laugh out loud numerous times. I am not sure if the book would need to have parent approval due to the abundant curse words and the comments about the "dourty peectures" involved. I believe it would be worth the effort to have an opportunity to read this book as a read aloud or to have it available for students on an individual basis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harris and Me.