Jen's Reviews > Pleasure for Pleasure

Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James

Aug 08, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from July 27 to August 07, 2010

So far, this is one of my all-time favorite Eloisa James novels. James managed to capture the feelings of women everywhere by describing what it's like to be a young woman who doesn't have the slender figure of a supermodel. I related to Josie on so many levels, from her inability to find appropriate clothing to her insecurities about her body to wondering why such a handsome man as the Earl of Mayne could want her. James did a fantastic job of putting us inside Josie's head and revealing why she is both insecure and lacking in self-confidence. But what I love most is that Mayne was able to show Josie what she couldn't see in herself.

The Earl of Mayne is also one of my favorite male James characters. He's a degenerate, tired, and lacking self-confidence in his own way. He's been with so many women that he believes he has no idea what love is. When we first meet him in this novel, he's engaged to Sylvie, a wispy, lovely Frenchwoman who isn't the least bit interested in Mayne save for his title, wealth, and attractive visage. But the more he is with Sylvie and then Josie, he begins to question his relationship with Sylvie.

I love how we get to see not only Mayne's transformation but Josie's. While Josie is only 18 in this book, she is more mature than some of the heroines we see in other books. And while Mayne is quite a bit older, as a reader, I didn't pay much attention to their age differences. In fact, they seemed so suited for one another that I often forgot Josie is his junior by many years. This is a book I would gladly read again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure for Pleasure.