Trin's Reviews > Holmes for the Holidays

Jan 02, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: shortstories, ficbutnot, mystery
Read in December, 2008

Allow me to use an analogy here. Imagine that in 20 years or so people start publishing collections of Buffy the Vampire Slayer pastiches. (In this version of the future Joss Whedon is either incredibly generous or has very bad lawyers.) In each story, Buffy does some research with the Scoobies (all of whom are currently getting along great!), patrols a cemetery, and stakes a vampire...and that’s it. No character development, not even any character insight! In every. Single. Story.

That’s this collection, pretty much. If some of the tales had been particularly humorous or blessed with Arthur Conan Doyle’s gift with atmosphere, that might have redeemed things somewhat. Instead, we get not one, but TWO stories that offer a rational, Sherlockian explanation for the events of A Christmas Carol. I know it’s a holiday collection, but did it really have to be produced via cookie cutter?

I also have to say, this is one of the worst-edited books I’ve read in a long time—purely from a copyediting standpoint, I mean. Words are used incorrectly, there are bizarre misspellings, and the book is littered with sloppiness: strangers being referred to by name, then introduced three paragraphs later—that kind of stuff. And there are THREE editors credited. Yikes.

Needless to say, this did not fill me with holiday cheer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holmes for the Holidays.

12/15/2008 page 21
7.14% ""My poor father met with an unfortunate accident not two months hence." Really, editors? REALLY?"
12/20/2008 page 192
65.31% "These are filling me with something, but it's not exactly Christmas cheer..." 2 comments
show 3 hidden updates…