Chloe's Reviews > Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Aug 22, 07

bookshelves: fiction, mystery-thriller
Read in August, 2007

As much as I loved the first Dexter book, this one was a little bit of a let down. Rather than the intriguing mystery of the first novel we are offered a rather simple cat-and-mouse game wherein Dexter must locate and stop a deranged doctor who used to work for the US Government while they were funding the Contras in Latin America back in the 80's. Gone are Dexter's amusing thought processes, replaced with his fixation on Sgt. Doakes, an overly suspicious cop who has taken to trailing Dexter everywhere he goes and forces Dexter to give up his nightly pastime of slicing-and-dicing the murderous underbelly of Miami and settle into a parody of domesticity with his girlfriend Rita and her two children, Astor and Cody. The book's high points come in Dexter's interactions with the children, who just may be harboring the same Dark Passenger that drives Dexter to his bloody ways. Yet all in all it's still a fun read with plenty working in its favor, and I'll still be reading the third addition to the series when it's released in a few weeks.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Devoted Dexter.