Mike Russell's Reviews > The Elements of Style: With Revisions, an Introduction, and a Chapter on Writing

The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.

M 50x66
Dec 15, 08

The Elements of Style is considered the Bible of English grammar and style by many. After reading this book, I can see why.

I actually owned this book back in college, but I only used it as a reference; I didn't read it cover to cover. I now wish I had. At 85 pages, it is one of the shortest books I have ever read.

The book is divided into five parts: elementary rules of usage, elementary principles of composition, a few matters of form, words and expressions commonly misused, and an approach to style.

What I found most refreshing about this book is its simplicity. It tells you what to do and what not to do when you write, and it gives very brief and concise reasons for its statements. It never dwells too much on any one topic.

I also liked the examples employed in this book. The authors use 2 columns, the left-hand column giving examples of incorrect usage and the right-hand column giving examples of correct usage of the target word or form. Some may think such a system boring, but I found it quite easy to understand. I am grateful that the authors decided to stick with such a uniform system.

Hence, if you are looking for an excellent book on English grammar and style, check out Elements of Style.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elements of Style.

message 1: by mitzi morris (new)

mitzi morris The ultimate principles about grammar and writing. There is no better.