Frances's Reviews > The Sandcastle Girls

The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian

Jan 09, 15

bookshelves: edwardian-ww1, armenian, genocide
Read from August 27 to 28, 2012

Amazing. Engrossing. Mesmerizing. I could NOT put this book down and read it in 24 hours. The Armenian genocide is a subject I stumbled across in another book (The Quest for Anna Klein by Thomas H. Cook) which peaked my curiosity. Everyone knows about the Holocaust and, more recently, the Serbs & Croatians but this entire tragedy is relatively unknown. The early part of the 20th century has been the latest time period I've become obsessed with. This particular subject seems to have been overshadowed by other events such as WWI and the Russian Revolution but is so important in its own right and as a horrible foreshadowing of the atrocities to come a few decades later. How has this been so ignored by historians and relatively "swept under the rug"? If you have read "Skeletons at the Feast" then you are already acquainted with Bohjalian's writing style which is direct and to the point. There are unbelievable cruelties and heartbreaking events in the story but he handles them all adroitly. This is a story that will make a lasting impression on anyone who reads it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandcastle Girls.