W's Reviews > Eve & Adam

Eve & Adam by Michael  Grant

Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: arc, 2012-read
Read from September 03 to 04, 2012

A Google search and a kiss. That's the truth of it. That's what has me jumpy and indecisive and looking for an excuse to just not go all dogs of war.
I'm a warrior. I AM a dog of war. I've spent years... and no the will drains out of me because of a kiss and a Shakespeare quote?

While recovering from a serious car accident, Evening Spiker takes on a project at her mother's bio-pharmaceuticals company -- using a genetics program to "create" the perfect boy. As her new creation is coming together, she's distracted by the guy problems of her best friend Aislin, as well as the attention of her mother's ward, Solo, who involves her in a dangerous secret that could bring an end to Spiker Bio-Pharmaceuticals and her mother's career.

As with many 2-starred books on my shelves, this one had great potential, and I had high expectations, and it didn't really live up to them. The premise -- the creation of the perfect being -- was interesting, and being a fan of the "Gone" series and "BZRK" by Michael Grant, I suppose what I imagined was a bit more "out there," terrifying, and disastrous than what actually took place. The second half of the book did pick up the pace, and there were some twists involved that I wasn't really expecting, that made it interesting, but not enough to cover my disappointment.

While Eve and Solo were three dimensional characters that had some feeling and development to them and were somewhat likable, the others were pure stereotypes (promiscuous Aislin, "too-perfect-to-be-interesting" Adam, Eve's coldhearted businesswoman mother, and a psychotic and over-ambitious villain). The premise was so intriguing, but Adam didn't show up until about 3/4 of the way through the book, and even then, he played such a little part -- really more of the literary foil than an actual character. It ended up NOT being so much about ethics or biological research or the dangers of playing God, and more about... I'm not even really sure what. Perhaps I just had my sights set high because I had just read Neal Shusterman's "Unwind" and "UnWholly" -- also about morals in biological research -- but this one was far too cheesy to be taken seriously.

Heads up: There are a LOT of crass words (or, I should say, a few that are repeated over and over) that are really unnecessary, as well as some sexual content/tension that's awkward at best and downright creepy at worst

Overall: A lack of depth and substance destroys this "could-be-super-cool" premise, despite its interesting twists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve & Adam.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new) - rated it 2 stars

W ShelfAwareness

Wolfkin I still have hope for the series. Animorphs and Everworld both had very very strong aspects. In theory a bad starting book could still turn into a very worthwhile series. I really gotta check out these Grant series that sounds pretty cool. If we can get a series with the same ambitious premise as Applegate's previous work and actually deliver then quite frankly that's something I'll be interested in.

it's amusing to read your review and completely agree with your rating and feeling for completely different reasons.