Elise's Reviews > Black Powder War

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Dec 15, 2008

Read from November 08 to December 01, 2015

So, this was pretty awesome. Perhaps it is the many years break I took between this book and the last (bad habit of mine) that made it seem more fresh, but I enjoyed it a lot and had no trouble getting back into this world.

The story is pretty simple. Laurence and Temeraire travel to the Ottoman Empire to retrieve some dragon eggs to deliver to England, yet of course such a task is never that easy.

Meanwhile, you have characters like the Chinese dragon Lien, a silent threat motivated by revenge, Iskierka, a new hatchling who is a little hot headed fireball, and some other dragons that are nuisances, but play an important role as well.

It all ends in a climatic battle. Temeraire continues to press Laurence to help him in his fight for dragon rights, but Laurence has bigger things on his mind, and is probably just waiting for the right time and wants to go about it rationally. I can see Temeraire losing patience eventually however, and the issue might become more a center of focus later on. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Powder War.

11/09/2015 marked as: currently-reading
11/09/2015 page 13
3.0% "It's been a long time since I read the last book, but I'm finding it pretty easy to get into so far."
11/25/2015 page 262
71.0% "My bookmark fell out & I have no idea where I left off. Just choosing a page. I may have already read this part or I could be missing parts, but there's nothing I can do. So irritating >_<"
11/27/2015 page 283
77.0% "The battle's on."
11/30/2015 page 324
88.0% "You can't make me pronounce "Iskierka" in my head. You can't."
12/01/2015 marked as: read