Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Wicked Burn

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: 2008, romance, favourite, erotic-romance
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Auntee
Read in December, 2008

This book is completely consuming and addictive, incredibly steamy and vivid and real. I was impressed by the quality of the writing - for the genre, it was very good - and the character development. There were moments of laughter, of sadness, of desire and love. It's a heady mix and you get sucked in there with them. There just aren't enough adjectives to describe the passion and headiness of this book.

Niall Chandler is frozen - three years after her little boy is killed, she's still dealing with the mental breakdown of her husband Stephen, who's confined to a institution, her parent's judgement and her own guilt. An unexpected and incredibly steamy encounter with her neighbour Vic Savian thaws her to a new world of desire and heat.

Vic can't get enough of her, but he's been burnt in the past and doesn't want to get too involved. When he sees signs of Niall's inner torment - the nightmares, the sadness in her eyes, the fear - he doesn't ask, and she's too guilt-ridden and afraid of being judged to open up to him. But the past works its way between them and destroys what they have, until they both wake up to the truth of their feelings and are honest with themselves, and each other.

If you're not a fan of graphic sex scenes, this isn't the book for you. If you are, though, then this should be the next book in your hands. It's a quick read mostly because you simply can't put it down. Four hours, I'd give it. Vic is incredibly sexy and has just the right balance of being demanding and tender. Both of them were very believable people, and because the prose wasn't syrupy or trying too hard at any time, it carried the story along nicely.

At first I was a bit worried about incorporating such a raw, horrible thing as a school shooting and the loss of a four-year-old into such a lust-filled story, but it worked. The trauma was very real, and made Niall a sympathetic character - instead of an annoying one, as the heroines of romance books often are. The chemistry between Vic and Niall is so thick you can taste it - again aided by the lack of cheesy prose and dialogue. It's raw, vulnerable, tense and insanely passionate: it's a real keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Burn.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Thanks for the rec, Shannon!! I've just added this one to my TBR list.

xoxo
Laura Stamps
Author of Erotica and Paranormal Romance Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (excerpts from all of my novels)
http://laura-stamps8.livejournal.com (my naughty Author Blog/updated daily)

Auntee Great review! I loved this one too. It was a rare erotic read that also had a strong plot.:)

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Okay, you convinced me. I'm adding it to my TBR list. ;)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Yay! Laura, Jennifer, hope you like! ;)