Robbins Library's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Aug 27, 2012

bookshelves: jenny-recommends
Read in August, 2012

In IF I STAY, seventeen-year-old cellist Mia faces a tough decision: leave Oregon - and her rockstar boyfriend Adam - to go to Juilliard, or stay? This decision, however, seems much smaller in the wake of a tragic car crash that kills her family and leaves Mia in the ICU. Though she is in a coma, she has what is essentially an out-of-body experience; she is able to see and hear all of her visitors, from her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins to her best friend Kim to Adam. From this in-between place, Mia realizes it is her choice: to go with her family, or to stay without them.

I really enjoyed this book. Mia's parents, grandparents, brother, and best friend are all pretty well-rounded characters; her relationship with Adam seems like more than an average high school romance. There are occasional corny/cheesy moments, but these are kept to a minimum, and on the whole the author does a great job of telling a wrenching story in a manner that is both straightforward and touching, but not sappy. (Though Adam's band's name is Shooting Star...)

Overall, a great read, and I was eager to read the next one, WHERE SHE WENT, even before I finished this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.