Giselle's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Jan 19, 13

bookshelves: arc, own, fantasy
Read from January 13 to 15, 2013

*Spoiler free for the series!*

Not everyone can pull off retellings, or even stories inspired by classic fairy tales. They more often than not have a certain missing element that stops them for shining. Rarely do they stand out among the masses like Cinder does. Marissa Meyer is one of those authors who can take an overly used concept and turn it into something completely unique, while leaving in the charm and delight of our beloved classic. Cinderella meets Red Riding Hood in this second installment of the Lunar Chronicles. This time, Scarlet's grandmother was taken, and there is, ladies and gentleman, a very sexy, extremely charming, wolf.

Between Cinder and Scarlet, we have plenty to keep us rolling in this fairly long novel. Told in dual POV--with the occasional 3rd--we continue where we left off in Cinder, while we simultaneously get introduced to Scarlet--an equally strong deadly and feisty heroine. They both offer a lot of charisma; they're intelligent, determined characters, and alongside each walks supporting roles who add plenty of emotion to the book, some from humor, others from frustration. And, of course, we get our old favorites. Iko, for one, in a much larger form this time, which garners its fair share of amusement. We also meet Thorne who accounts for more than a few chuckles throughout the story due to his obliviousness or dumb remarks. As promised, we also have the big bad Wolf! A very complex character, Wolf is an excellent addition to this series. His bad-boy persona is one I could swoon over for once, not being tarnished by a controlling or creepy side that, unfortunately, often goes hand in hand with this type. He had charm, tact, and motive; his development bloomed to perfection throughout the novel, Marissa has created a positively satisfying character and love interest… however… with this said, I have to admit that I did not feel a huge connection between him and Scarlet. Yes his personality makes for a great romantic hero but I didn't feel this was used to its full potential, or maybe there was simply too much going on in this book to concentrate on sparks. There are cute moments and definitely potential, but that's as far as it reached for me.

Like Cinder, the plot in Scarlet is not one that is filled with shock and unpredictability. It's easy to foresee what's going to happen, at least to some extent. However, also like Cinder, it feels like this is intentional. As if we're meant to know before the characters, so we can resent our helplessness to warn them of the oncoming collision. Either way, the action packed pages make up for any disappointment you may carry for its predictable outcome. Plus, the ending still induces *Le gasp!* Or, more accurately, *Le headdesk*.

Still as fresh and unique as Cinder, Scarlet combines two classic fairy tales into one brilliantly structured plot. And soon, there will be three! Rapunzel will join us in the third book, Cress, and being a huge fan of this lady of thee fabulous hair, I will not rest until it is in my greedy, greedy hands!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

01/15/2013 page 321
69.0% "I would smack that wolf! Take that any way you wish. >.<"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ikhlas Awesome review, Giselle! I'm a big fan of retellings, and especially this series, so I am DYING to get my hands on this. :D

Henrietta Fabulous! Now I'm really looking forward to the release of Scarlet. Thanks for the review :)

Giselle Thanks, ladies! It was a great sequel!

Zino Great review, I really loved Cider and now I'm even more excited to read Scarlet :)

Yodamom : D Loved the review ! I am so excited to get my hands on it now. Rapunzel is next ! Wahoo!

Giselle @Yodamom: I am so excited for Rapunzel! I'm thinking it will be my favorite!

@Zimo: Thanks! I hope you love it. And I love Cider, too, Apple is my favorite! Teehee.

Zino Haha, whoops. At least you knew what I meant :)

Giselle Haha yes! I'm the typo queen. I'm made some pretty epic ones that will haunt me forever. Like Pee Pressure. On twitter no less.

Zino Wow, I have no idea what you could misspell to get Pee Pressure. But I can imagine they'd be a few laughs and interesting conversations.

Giselle hah it was meant to be Peer Pressure >.<

Charlie Chouinard I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.

Giselle Oh cool thanks I'll check it out! :)

Kadbury(Young Readers) I just finished Cinder and I can't wait to start this one !!!

message 14: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I love this book!
It's absolutely amaZING with a capital ZING!!!!!!!!

Bethany I'm currently reading Cress and can't believe we have to wait so long for the final book. Great review!

message 16: by Ley (new) - added it

Ley Yu Its so hard to buy this book. Pdf also not available! Argh!