Annie's Reviews > The Vanishing Point

The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: kindle
Read from September 02 to 04, 2012

I usually start my five star reviews of Val McDermid’s books with “I’m not really a thriller reader, but...”. Her Wire in the Blood series absolutely enthrals me, as do some of her stand-alones, and they’re invariably five star reads. I loved 95% of this book too, but it really isn’t primarily a thriller – I carried it everywhere, taking every opportunity to read, fascinated by the story of the reality TV star (plainly based on Jade Goody) befriended by her ghost writer, and the linked thread around child abduction. There are some lovely touches in there, and it makes you wonder how close to the truth it is. I lost myself in the world of Scarlet and Stephanie, and I found the insights into this world we all think we know so much about quite fascinating. But however much I enjoyed the book – and I really did, despite the fact that it wasn’t at all what I’d expected – I really didn’t like the ending at all. It really made me feel a little cheated – I even wondered if I’d missed some element in the story, but I really don’t think I did. Regardless, my thanks to netgalley for the opportunity to read this one on my Kindle ahead of publication.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Point.

09/03/2012
83.0% "Enjoying this one..."