Beth Martin's Reviews > Team Human

F 50x66
Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

Team Human is a parody. You figure that out pretty well right off the bat. I've seen some reviews on here that presume this is a serious book. While it deals with some pretty serious subject matter at points, this book doesn't take itself seriously ergo negating that it might be a serious book. (Got that?)

Humor-wise, there are some goodies. Overall however it lacks the laugh-out-loud quality that the first couple of chapters promise. This is possibly because it's hard to keep up the goofy "wtf" feel when discussing the ethical implications of vampires. This means you trade humor for snark and a good dose of social consciousness.

The plot was disappointingly lacking and I guessed the climax twist about a hundred and fifty pages before it actually happened. Cathy and Francis's romance was hilariously bad ala Twilight but Mel's romance thread was too earnest and slapdash. The tension between humanity and vampires was astonishing and well executed, and left me curious what choice I would make if faced between staying human or becoming that brand of vampire.

So, basically, mixed bag. Great for making you question things and for a genre-inspired laugh or two, but in the end just not one of the greats.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team Human.