Jaimie's Reviews > Schindler's List

Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally

Sep 02, 12

Read from August 27 to September 02, 2012

Whover made the choice to market this book as a novel is an idiot, as it is very obviously a work of non-fiction. Some of the conversations and situations have been expanded (based upon logical assumptions and witness testimonies), but the large majority of the narrative is based upon fact. The linguistic style is also indicative of a non-fiction work, and it carries the same tone as many of the well-written historical books that focus on a single aspect of history. These books are based on facts and discussion of said facts, but they are written in a manner which is still highly readable and relies on narrative touches - such as conversations between characters, and speculation on a character's thoughts - to connect with the reade in the same manner as a novel with an omniscient narrator. When I was reading this book I definitely felt like I was back in my Holocaust seminar class, and I am surprised that it was not actually included on the reading list because it would have made an interesting addition to the memoirs of Holocaust survivors and a contrast to the book about the Polish Einsatzgruppen.

Besides the obvious lack of proper categorization, I did find this book to be extremely interesting. WWII is one of my favourite historical areas to study (because it influenced so much of 20th-century events), but rarely are German/Czech/Polish people who helped subvert the Nazi's Final Solution spoken about, unless they were part of the actual resistance movements. I don't remember a single mention of Oskar Schindler in any of my classes, and I guess the assumption is that no one needs to study him because there's a popular movie and book that chronicle his actions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Schindler's List.