Peter's Reviews > Lewis Agonistes: How C.S. Lewis Can Train Us to Wrestle with the Modern and Postmodern World

Lewis Agonistes by Louis Markos

M_50x66
Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: philosophy, religion-faith
Read in July, 2012

This is one of those books I had on my shelves for a while, actually starting it a while ago, and finally got around to finishing it. And I'm glad I took the time to read it. The author, a professor of English Literature and a scholar of C.S. Lewis, uses the life and writing of Lewis to tackle the hard questions raised by the modern / post-modern world. The author, Louis Markos, leads the reader through the philosophical / theological wasteland post the 1960s. Markos explores the arguments and ideals that are warm and fuzzy on the outside and hollow on the inside, leaving a society without any backbone (or the backbone of a chocolate eclair), easily manipulated by those engaged in their long march through the institutions. The author introduces the reader to Lewis' reliance on both clear logic and a strong faith in an examination and refutation of the modern intellectual wasteland.

For those who truly want to explore another side of the modern intellectual framework, here is the guide and book for you. Those interested in strengthening their own mental development, again this should be on your reading list. Those who think the progressive, relative world view is all that is necessary to slink through life, will not like it, as it will not leave much left over the carry on with. Of course, it may make their slinking easier, as the load will be lighter. The hope is that it may force them to actually think and not just regurgitate the mush that has accumulated in them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lewis Agonistes.