Lynn Raye Harris's Reviews > Incandescent

Incandescent by M.V. Freeman

Aug 27, 2012

Read in August, 2012

Full Disclosure: I received an advanced reading copy from the author. She is a friend and RWA chapter mate.

I really enjoyed INCANDESCENT! I thought the world-building was just incredible. It's unlike any other paranormal I've read (I don't read many of them, but I do read them). I was a little worried how I would feel about this book, because M.V. is a friend and I wanted to like it. I needn't have worried. I opened it up to read during my trip to the RWA conference in Anaheim. It kept me occupied during flight delays, and when it came time to land in Anaheim, I didn't want to stop reading. I was that absorbed!

Others have given much better plot synopses than I have, so I won't repeat the information here. Basically, Laurie Hudson is a very powerful elemental, though she doesn't realize it. Her reluctance to admit what she was did annoy me somewhat, I have to admit, but she eventually realizes she has to embrace her heritage and learn to wield her power.

Mikhail is a far more mysterious character. I would have liked to get into his head a bit more often to see what he was thinking. He is a true alpha male, and he is even a bit bastardy at times. But he's very compelling. He's tortured and tough and sexy. Everything you want a dark alpha to be.

As an Urban Fantasy, this book hits all the targets. As a romance, perhaps not quite as much. If you really want a lot of heart-pounding sexual tension and a romance that takes center stage, this book might not be for you. If you want a very cool world, a thrilling atmosphere, and a romantic plot to go along with it, then you should enjoy this book.

The writing is very good, the story moves along at a good pace, and surprises wait around every corner. M.V. Freeman has set up a great opening to an Urban Fantasy world that I hope she will explore in future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incandescent.