Kyle's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Nov 01, 12

Read from August 27 to 30, 2012

A fantastic sequel to Mark Lawrence's debut "Prince of Thorns." This novel represents growth in all aspects. This certainly represents growth for Mark Lawrence as a writer as he is becoming much better at handling the story throughout simultaneous time periods, but also represents a tremendous amount of growth in other areas too, namely growth of the setting and growth of the characters.
We get much deeper into the post-apocalyptic world our dear anti-hero inhabits, learning much more about the politics, sociological makeup, and history. We also get a slight amount of teasing that there may be much more of a connection to the "builders" than we originally thought.
But people don't devour this book or it's predecessor because of the world (even though it is becoming wonderfully built). People hunger for these books because of our dear main character, Jorg.
And talk about growth! Our little, nasty, broken boy that we came to love/despise has grown up a bit, and because of it has become a much more complicated little beast. Whatever your feelings about Jorg, he has as much depth and has become as multi-dimensional as any character I can hope for in a novel (I tend to think of a mash between Houlden Caulfield and Dexter).
King of Thorns was at least as good as Prince of Thorns, and it has me eagerly looking forward to Mark Lawrence's next work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

Quotes Kyle Liked

Mark  Lawrence
“We die a little every day and by degrees we’re reborn into different men, older men in the same clothes, with the same scars.”
Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Lawrence so if it's as least as good ... and you gave Prince 5*... this one gets...? :D

Many thanks for the review!

message 2: by Kyle (last edited Aug 31, 2012 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyle You've highlighted the inadequacies of the 5-star rating system perfectly. If "amazing" is the highest rating, then the ratings gods must have some way to recognize a "greater than amazing" rating.

Thank YOU for writing the book! My thoughts are still swirling after finishing it, but my biggest and most honest hope is that others appreciate the book as much as I do.