Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Darkness Rising

Darkness Rising by Keri Arthur

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristie

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This action-packed sequel to Darkness Unbound explores more of Risa’s relationships with Azriel and an equally dark and dangerous world.

Opening Sentence: The house still smelled of death.

The Review:

There is really no way I can start off this review without a giant spoiler from the first book in the series, Darkness Unbound, but since it is already mentioned in the synopsis it is fair game. Two months have passed since Risa’s mother was brutally murdered. In order to find out the identity of the murderer, Risa enters into an uneasy deal with Madeline Hunter, the leader of the Directorate. The Directorate has the resources that will help Risa find the murderer but in so doing Risa will be running jobs on the side for Madeline or else the Directorate will no longer look into her mother’s murder.

Risa’s father confronts her with the clue to find the first key to open or lock the gates to the other side. Everyone (good, bad and questionable) wants that key from Risa while she would rather just keep it hidden and she is given no choice but to find the key. Meanwhile, vampires from the Vampire Council are rapidly aging and dying. Madeline forces Risa to look into who is cursing the vampires before too many of them die. Risa’s relationship with the sexy, fallen Aedh, Lucian, is still purely sexual while the relationship with the equally sexy and mysterious Azriel is still complicated but he still obediently follows Risa and helps her stay alive.

Risa feels like a puppet strung between too many people that want to use her. Above all Risa wants to keep her friends safe so she does whatever she can to protect them. Risa still acts impulsively at times not exactly thinking through the outcomes before she launches into her search for both of her tasks. She is strong for the lessons she learns.

The worldbuilding just continues in Darkness Rising. This world just keep expanding, especially the ghostly realm. I enjoyed this world a whole lot more than I did in the first book. I think I understood all the action and the different people that are after Risa. This novel is action packed and sucks you right in. The plot moves right along and there is some resolution to the overall storyline but it is still left wide open in the end. Because of the continuing storyline this is one series that I think needs to be read altogether.

Overall, Darkness Rising is full of interesting mythology and worlds. This is a dark, sexy and engaging world. If you are interested in a paranormal world set in Australia, then definitely check out this series.

Notable Scene:

He raised the sword, offering it to me hilt first. “Take her.”

I wrapped my hands around the night-dark hilt. Fire flared along the blade’s edge, thick and dangerous. The hilt itself felt warm against my palm, and something within it pulsed, as if it had a life and a heart of its own.

And given it was forged during a demon’s death, maybe it did.

I licked my lips, the raised by gaze to Azriel’s. “Now what?”

“Place the tip against your stomach.”

I closed my eyes against the rush of fear and did as he asked. The metal hummed—a sound that vibrated through every nerve ending.

“Now we perform the bonding ritual. Repeat after me; we are one mind, me and thee.”

I repeated the words softly. Energy stirred, caressing my skin and making the small hairs at the back of my neck rise.

“We are one spirit, me and thee.”

The power in the air increased as I repeated the words, crackling like lightning through the darkness, until it felt as if I were standing in the eye of the storm.

“We are one body, me and thee, spirit within flesh, bound together until life is over and the soul has moved on.”

I repeated the sentence. The words seemed to hang in the air, electric and alive. The sword burned against my palms, throbbing with life and hunger.

“Now,” Azriel said softly, “make the sacrifice.”

FTC Advisory: I purchased my own copy of Darkness Rising. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Rising.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Fallen for books Have you read Riley Jenson gaurdian series by her?