Malin Friess's Reviews > Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health

Wheat Belly by William  Davis

Dec 17, 2012

Read from December 14 to 17, 2012

I love to eat bagels, cinnamon rolls, thick crust pizza, Subway's bread, cheerios, toast with nutella, and almost all things wheat. This book was devastating to me.

Dr. Davis (Cardiologist) makes a compelling case against that pesky ingredient: Wheat.

Dr. Davis frequently puts his pateint on a wheat free diet and sees these benefits:

Weight loss of 20-40 lbs in weeks
Elimination of Diabetes and no need for Insulin
Elimination of Celiac Disease, arthritis, psoriasis
Improvements in cholesterol and LDL counts

But how about this: eating two slices of whole wheat bread raises your blood sugar more than 2 tablespoons of pure grain sugar.

Dr. Davis believes the American public has been duped sine the 1970's guidelines have recommended a diet rich heavy in grains and low in fat. Where have these recommendations gotten us. Obesity and Diabetes (now 25% of our population is soaring). Think back to the TV shows of the era (Leave it to Beaver)..nobody was overweight. Nobody exercised (did you ever see stay at home moms pushing jogging strollers up and down hills) and they ate eggs for breakfast everyday. Now (and I've seen it) you have marathon runners and triathletes with wheat bellies (who swim, run, jog everyday) but are still overweight.

A few more aspects of wheat:
It spikes your blood sugar. Eat your toast with jam at 8AM...you are hungry again at 10:00AM
Its the cheapest food available..so industries inject it into everything (crackers, cookies, snacks)

So what does Davis suggest: Eat eggs, beef, hummus, yoghurt, nuts (lots of raw nuts), cottage cheese, vegetables. Davis wants his patients to cut Wheat out Cold Turkey (or as he says cold Noodle).

What I didn't like about the book:
Davis does not talk about athletes and those that are doing high levels of aerobic training...it seems that carbohydrates are necessary. Also what about kids? He does touch on the relation of a wheat free diet and its affects on ADHD.

I think his arguments are compelling (and no fun also eating like this). But Dr. Davis (and I like this) puts no restrictions on total caloric intake per day. Eat your cheese, hamburgers, eggs and be happy..and lose your wheat cravings. Dr. Davis seems more reasonable that the Atkins Approach (no carbs at all until you reach Ketoacidosis). Dr. Davis encourages moderate amounts of rice, berries, 100% juices.

Am I on board? I'll try it for 10 meals a week (breakfast and Lunch--M-F). Then I'll eat whatever my family is eating the other days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wheat Belly.

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan I don't think you have a wheat belly, but let us know how your 10 meals a week go.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I'd love to talk more about this sometime. I haven't been eating wheat (or all gluten) for over a year now and generally feel better. Does Davis recommend reducing all carbs (i.e., rice, potatoes, non-wheat flours)? The nutritionist my family sees does see some benefit in non-glutinous carbs for most people.

Malin Friess Davis has a measured approach to Carbohydrates (as compated to Atkins). He encourages avoidance of all wheat based food at all costs (they increase glycemic load most severely). He suggests keeping your daily carb intake at or below 100 grams..dark chocolate, 1/2 cup of rice, sweet potatoes, are OK.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Davis's approach sounds similar to what I've read and what the nutritionist we see recommends.