Anna Silver's Reviews > No Safety in Numbers

No Safety in Numbers by Dayna Lorentz

Aug 27, 12

Read on August 27, 2012

My daughter picked No Safety In Numbers up at Barnes & Noble, insisting it was meant to be as the dedication read, "For Evelyn" and her name is Evelyn. Typically, I read whatever books they get plus my own, since they're all YA, unless I find their choices utterly unappealing.

I will say, this one did not jump out at me. And I kind of ho-hummed my way through the beginning. I'm not a fan of differing perspectives, male protagonists, or shopping malls, so Lorentz left a lot to be desired. That said, as I dove in, I found myself inexplicably drawn into these unraveling narratives centered around a bio-terror attack in a busy suburban mall. I kept thinking what a fabulous movie this would make.

By the time the book was over, I was hooked. Lorentz is a talented writer with an original premise that deserves a good look. The beauty of No Safety In Numbers is that it appeals to a wide scope of readers: boys, girls, YA, dystopian, contemporary, etc. The romance takes a major backburner, but still juices up the story. It's not likely that I'll go hunting for the sequel, but my daughter might, and if she does, I'll be sure to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Safety in Numbers.