Jennifer's Reviews > Crewel World

Crewel World by Monica Ferris

Dec 15, 08

bookshelves: 2005, mn-wi, mystery, knitting-fiction, monica-ferris, cozy_mystery
Recommended for: Mn-Wi crafters who like a PG mystery.
Read in February, 2005, read count: 1

I picked up this book because I am a knitter who likes mystery's - so it seemed like a good fit. Oh - And it is by a local author which made it a triple threat to my wallet. Had to get it!

The story is set in Excelsior, MN at Margot Berglund's needlework shop Crewel World. She is a widow in her 50's and she has a pretty nice life. Her sister Betsy decides to come and stay with her when her second marriage hits the rocks. Betsy seems somewhat aimless and it seemed like she came to be with her sister to just sponge for awhile. All is progressing well for a few days but then...... MURDER!

It tells you on the back cover of the book that it is Margot that gets murdered - which frankly I found irritating. I found I had little in common with Betsy. But i have to say the writing wasn't that bad if I keep reading a book with a main character I don't really relate to.

As far as the series in general goes it's a pretty tame series. I think the nearest thing to sex in it is hand holding and kissing. I remember thinking that this is a good book to recommend to grandmothers who like mystery's because they are so PG. The mystery's are a little weak in some of the books. The way Betsy gets to her conclusions is sometimes unclear at times.

All that being said - they aren't bad books. A little bland - but still interesting enough that I jumped right into the next book when I finished the first one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dolly I'm glad that I didn't read the back cover before I started the book. This was a book club read, so I just dug right in. Margot's murder took me quite by surprise and it wasn't until after I read about it, that I read the back cover and discovered that it wasn’t supposed to be a surprise.

Jennifer Yeah - I wish I hadn't read the back cover first. It felt like a spoiler. :(~ What a fun book club read!