Heather M's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: ya-lit, speculative-fiction, forever-recs
Read from September 08 to 14, 2012

This one's probably my favorite of the three, a complicated, sad, hopeful tale of healing and coming of age that mirrors Fire's in many ways but is wholly unique in others. Kind of slow at points, but in a way that worked for me a little more than, for example, the slowness of some of Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief stuff (a series I also loved, but still). BUT MAN I JUST LOVE BITTERBLUE SO MUCH. Everything about her, and watching her grow and grieve and love, was delightful. Also I find the author's take on love and romance and the different ways they can happen to be refreshing. And I loved seeing queer couples be prominent, though I wished at least one of her main characters could've been (for some reason I am taken with the idea of Saf as a girl).

I'm going to try and come back and review this one and Fire in more detail at some point. And I said it for Graceling but it bears repeating, this series is heavier than I was looking for to be honest, much as I enjoyed it, and needs trigger warnings for dang near everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

Quotes Heather Liked

Kristin Cashore
“Bacon improved things dramatically.”
Kristin Cashore, Bitterblue

Kristin Cashore
“But all I feel is impatience, fury for the opposition I anticipate and the lies I'm going to have to tell to make it happen, and frustration that I can't even take a walk without them sending someone to hover. Attack me," she said.

"I beg your pardon, Lady Queen?"

"You should attack me, and we'll see what he does. He's probably quite bored--it'll be a relief to him."

"Mightn't he run me through with his sword?"

"Oh." Bitterblue chuckled. "Yes, I suppose he might. That would be a shame."

"I'm gratified that you think so," said Giddon dryly.”
Kristin Cashore, Bitterblue

09/11/2012 page 78
13.0% "dreaming that at some point Fox will somehow end up joining this merry band of teenaged liars. also: HI PO HI"
09/12/2012 page 168
29.0% "i knew from the first book that Bitterblue would be the most delightful pov character ever but i still was not prepared for this"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia Saf as a girl would've been awesome.