Karen's Reviews > The Mighty Storm

The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle

Sep 12, 12

Read from September 05 to 11, 2012

I will try this again, since my first, long-winded review was lost in the saving process :/

I LOVED this book!!!! What a great story of two best friends reuniting after 12 years of forced separation. Finding each other again, and rekindling the lost feelings that they both shared in their early teens. I loved all of the characters, Trudy and Jake, and Jake's fabulous band The Mighty Storm! Loved Jake's best friend and manager, Stuart, as well as Trudy's BF Simone and her boss Vicky!!

Trudy Bennett, the main character and POV, was a young sex British/Puerto Rican music writer, working for a small but up and coming fashion magazine. Trudy is down to earth, smart and talented and still hopelessly in love with her old and best friend Jake, who has become nothing less than an icon in the rock world. Jake had left England for the US 12 years earlier, when they were still young teenagers. They had lost touch after a short time when Jake stopped responding to her letters. Trudy moved on, went to university and started her career as a writer for the music industry. She met Will, her current boyfriend, when at college. She started dating him two years ago, and has been quite happy in her relationship since. At least up until she is apprehensively thrown back together with her long lost friend Jake during an interview requested by her friend and boss at the magazine Vicki.

Jake has become quite the legend since their separation. Starting his band The Mighty Storm, along with it's highly successful record label, he seems to have left his past behind, and never looked back. At least that is what Trudy thinks...

Jake Wethers.. OMG what can I say, but SMOKING HOT ALPHA MALE perfection. I loved his character, as fucked up, spoiled and controlling as he was, still loved every minute of him!!!! Gorgeous and moody, Jake always gets what he wants. His band has been incredibly successful, and brought him the kind of fame and attention that start him on a wild ride of binge drinking, drugs and women. He is known for his partying and his womanizing ways, but is totally thrown off of his game, when he meets up with his old childhood friend Trudy Bennett during a routine interview.

This was a very creative story. I loved following these two through their instant attraction for each other, to their tumultuous affair. I loved following the band, TMS, through their tour with all of the band members, and Stuart, Jake's BF and band manager. The book gives you a glimpse into the lives of the rich and famous. A life that can be unbelievably glamorous, but not without a price.

And I can't finish without mentioning Will, Tru's incredibly AWESOME, SWEET, GORGEOUS boyfriend who becomes nothing more than cannon fodder after the fallout from her affair with Jake. I absolutely HATED seeing this guy hurt!!!!! As much as I think that Tru and Jake were great together, my heart just BROKE for Will.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I LOVED this book!!! I'm giving it 4.5 stars!! I would have given it 5 but took off just a smidge for it's mildly simplistic writing style and a few too many grammatical errors and typos. I usually give these some liberty if the story over-powers them, which it did for the most-part. I hope Ms. Towle is writing a sequel!!!! I'm dying to see where the story goes from here!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mighty Storm.

09/05/2012 "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Finally!!!!"
09/06/2012
10.0% "The feel of his lips on my skin, his hot breath momentarily halts every moving particle of me, paralyzing me to the spot, nearly sending me into convulsions......beautiful."
09/06/2012
20.0% "OK, Jake is definitely smokin HOT!!! But I'm feeling bad for Will now!!!! He sounds kind of like a great guy!!!" 3 comments
09/07/2012
30.0% "I'm really liking this Tom!!! At least so far!!!" 4 comments
09/08/2012
38.0% "Holy FUCK that was HOT!!!!!!!!" 5 comments
09/09/2012
45.0% "Why are women so damned STUPID? I HATE THIS!! This bitch is giving me chest pain!!!!"
09/10/2012
73.0% "I'm sorry, Jake is HOT but my heart is UTTERLY BROKEN FOR WILL!!!!!!! THAT's JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!!! I'll take him Tru!!!!"
09/10/2012
84.0% "FUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Squeeee!!!! This will definitely pick you up after your last read!!!

Karen I can't wait... I've been seeing a lot a squeeing going on with this one... I'm really excited to read it. Again, I haven't read your review yet... I'm saving it until I'm finished mine. :)

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ It's a freaking squee-fest, that's for sure!!! Enjoy Jake!!

Karen I will!!! I'm in dire need of a long vacation in Swoontown!!!!!!

Natalie★for the love of TBH!★ I CAN' T wait to read thi one" I'm debating if i should start this or cöash first.

Stephanie tell us how you really feel K.

Bernadette Singer lol, ok by that comment alone. I gotta read this !!!!

Bernadette Singer yea !!!! hes pretty damn hot !!!!

Lucinda - I JUST LOVE TO READ I have to say I feel the same about the "spoiler" in your review. That is all I can say haha, as i don't want to spoil the book for anybody :) Great review

message 11: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Great review Karen!! Poor Will, you're right, he was cannon fodder, and that was brutal. Those scenes just broke my heart. And I absolutely agree with your spoiler too. I was like 'What? Now? Really???' But it's all good in the end I guess. Can't wait for more!!!

Karen I sure hope she's writing a sequel. I'm not satisfied with that ending. Got to have more Jake... and got to see Will redeemed somehow.... or take him home and comfort him myself!!! LOL

Karen Karen wrote: "I sure hope she's writing a sequel. I'm not satisfied with that ending. Got to have more Jake... and got to see Will redeemed somehow.... or take him home and comfort him myself!!! LOL"

AJ wrote: "Great review Karen!! Poor Will, you're right, he was cannon fodder, and that was brutal. Those scenes just broke my heart. And I absolutely agree with your spoiler too. I was like 'What? Now? R..."

Karen - There is a sequel to TMS coming Spring 2013!

Karen Thank God!!!!