Jill's Reviews > Waltz with a Stranger

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debuts, historical-romance-european
Read in November, 2012

Debut

When Aurelia Newbold looks into the beautiful, unmarred face of her twin sister, Amelia she sees what she used to be. With a limp and a scar from a riding accident, Aurelia isn't comfortable being in public. So when she and Amelia, American heiresses, travel to Britain, it's Amelia who takes London society by storm while Aurelia stays in the background.

When James Trelawney sees Aurelia alone, he asks her to dance. Later when Aurelia goes abroad to a spa to help her recuperate, she takes with her the memory of James and the dance. A year later on her return, healthier and happier she is shocked to learn that Amelia is engaged to James.

This is a lovely historical romance, well-written with two romances. Aurelia and James. And the second with Amelia and James's best friend, Thomas Sheridan, an artist. Both romances are handled well and as expected tension runs high throughout the story with both sisters in love, yet separated from their true soul-mates. I also liked that both girls were sweet. Usually one sister is the evil twin. Thankfully there wasn't a wicked sister in sight.

James inherits the Earldom unexpectedly on the death of his cousin. When he and two others become the targets of rumour concerning the cousin's early, accidental death, James sets out to uncover the truth and becomes entangled in his late cousin's suspicious business deals.

A combination of adventure, mystery and romance Waltz with a Stranger will suit readers of sweet historical romance and those who enjoy two romances for the price of one.

Steam: 2.5

ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks (Casablanca) via NetGalley

18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waltz with a Stranger.

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Oh Jilly, this looks soooo good! Loving that man on the cover too, grrrrrr!

Jill Wendy wrote: "Oh Jilly, this looks soooo good! Loving that man on the cover too, grrrrrr!"

Yep, he's cute, Wen! I'll let you know what I think when I get to it.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Great review as always Jill. I'm adding this one.

Jill Kristen wrote: "Great review as always Jill. I'm adding this one."

Thanks Kristen, this one's a feel good read.

message 5: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Wonderful review Jilly! You have lead me to many lovely debuts this year:) Thank you:)!

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Jilly! You have lead me to many lovely debuts this year:) Thank you:)!"

Thanks KatLynne! Well next year I won't be having quite as many debuts for review as I told you. I'm attacking my mountain next year. Well, that's the plan...

Btw, hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Haven't seen you much, so I'm guessing you've been busy.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Great review, Jill!

Jill Jessica wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thankyou Jessica! What are you reading atm?

message 9: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Jill wrote: "KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Jilly! You have lead me to many lovely debuts this year:) Thank you:)!"

Thanks Jilly! I had a lovely Thanksgiving but was completely worn out by the end of the day:) I've been incredibly busy but the good news is I'm all free for the next two days! Nothing on my agenda until Sunday afternoon and a late lunch with the girls:) I'm going into my cave and read,read,read...LOL

Missed you bunches sweet friend!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jill wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thankyou Jessica! What are you reading atm?"

I'm reading The MacKinnon's Bride by Tanya Anne Crosby. I haven't been able to read much the last few days though. The holidays always interfere with my reading. lol

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Jill wrote: "KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Jilly! You have lead me to many lovely debuts this year:) Thank you:)!"

@ KatLynne
Enjoy your days off work! And hope to see you around some more!

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Jessica wrote: "Jill wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thankyou Jessica! What are you reading atm?"

@ Jessica
Yeah, holidays can be a real nuisance for readers! :)

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Nice review! This one moved just a bit to slow for me in the beginning but I did enjoy her writing and will look for Sophie and Robin's story next year!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lisa wrote: "Nice review! This one moved just a bit to slow for me in the beginning but I did enjoy her writing and will look for Sophie and Robin's story next year!"

Thanks Lisa! And yeah, I know what you mean, but it was still lovely.

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thanks B!