Brenda's Reviews > Celtic Blood

Celtic Blood by James John Loftus

Sep 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: gift-from-author, reviewing-by-request, aussie-authors, own-read
Read from September 03 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

The story of young thirteen year old Morgund MacAedh and his friend and protector, Seward, starts in Scotland in 1210, where there is much treachery and traitorous villainy afoot. With the murder of Morgund’s father, Kenneth, he must escape before he too is murdered.

On horseback they fled with six men for protection, but after Morgund was betrayed by the very men sent to protect him, it was Seward who saved him, and led him out of Scotland, into England, where he was a fugitive for many, many years. He suffered imprisonment, near death, and extreme hardship, but as he grew to adulthood, he was more and more determined to return to Scotland, and reclaim his heritage.

The history of the MacAedh clan of Scotland, originating with Morgund to be the clan Mackay, is a very interesting one. The intrigue and suspense, along with the horrors of the clan wars kept the pages turning. My only issue with the novel is the lack of editing, which, if done, would turn this into a brilliant historical fiction novel.

I have read and reviewed this novel by request of the author. 3.5 stars.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celtic Blood.