Maija's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Dec 14, 2008

bookshelves: book-club-at-work, 2008

This was my first selection for my book club at work. It is probably the only book I've bought in hardback after attending a bookstore reading, which was kind of impulsive on my part but Powell won me over. Julie Powell is just likeable - she's not pretentious and can definitely be self-deprecating. I've read this book twice already, and I'm pretty certain I'll read it again in another year. It's good to read the couple of Julia Child bios as companion pieces.

I found her project fascinating (and admirable that she not only started it, but finished it). Also, she was one of the early food bloggers that seems to have led to a chain of food bloggers being published. I like the idea that the blog world has allowed a whole world of writers to get attention by the publishing world. Kinda cool.

Not everyone gets her writing style - I've criticisms that she's too crass or whiny or whatever, but I found her to be very real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

Quotes Maija Liked

Julie Powell
“It was only once I was in the car ... that the only two reasons I hadn't joined right in with the loon with the gray crew cut, beating my head and screaming "Fuck!" in primal syncopation, were (1) I'd be embarrassed and (2) I didn't want to get my cute vintage suit any dirtier than it already was. Performance anxiety and a dry-cleaning bill, those were the only things keeping me from stark raving lunacy. ”
Julie Powell, Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie Powell
“But the not-very-highbrow truth of the matter was that the reading was how I got my ya-yas out.

For the sake of my bookish reputation I upgraded to Tolstoy and Steinbeck before I understood them, but my dark secret was that really, I preferred the junk. The Dragonriders of Pern, Flowers in the Attic, The Clan of the Cave Bear. This stuff was like my stash of Playboys under the mattress.”

Julie Powell
“If I had thought the beef marrow might be a hell of a lot of work for not much difference, I needn’t have worried. The taste of the marrow is rich, meaty, intense in a nearly-too-much way. In my increasingly depraved state, I could think of nothing at first but that it tasted like really good sex. But there was something more than that, even. What it really tastes like is life, well lived. Of course the cow I got marrow from had a fairly crappy life – lots of crowds and overmedication and bland food that might or might not have been a relative. But deep in his or her bones, there was a capacity for feral joy. I could taste it.”
Julie Powell, Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously