Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures

Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures by Emma Straub

Aug 26, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, arc, historical-fiction
Read from August 26 to September 05, 2012

After reading Straub's short story collection a few weeks ago, I was even more excited to read her novel.

I'm a fan of historical fiction and I enjoy reading about Hollywood...enter this wonderful story about Laura Lamont (not a real person BTW). While Laura Lamont wasn't real...I'm sure her story was definitely the truth for some. We follow Laura's life from her childhood -- when she was Elsa -- until the end of her career as a struggling older actress. I'm curious if Straub took pieces of lives and merged them into Laura or if there was one particular star she had in mind. Either way, it's a wonderful look into the rise and fall of celebrity life.

It really made me think about those folks that were once SO famous, but then lost it. Where are they now? VH1 can't possibly create a special for all of them -- and really VH1 is only interested in those from the 80s it seems.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoyed The Chaperone and even Beautiful Ruins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures.