Dils AB's Reviews > The Magician's Apprentice

The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: children-ya

Summary from Goodreads: In the remote village of Mandryn, Tessia serves as assistant to her father, the village Healer. Her mother would rather she found a husband. But her life is about to take a very unexpected turn.

When the advances of a visiting Sachakan mage get violent, Tessia unconsciously taps unknown reserves of magic to defend herself. Lord Dakon, the local magician, takes Tessia under his wing as an apprentice.

The long hours of study and self-discipline also offer more opportunities than she had ever hoped for, and an exciting new world opens up to her. There are fine clothes and servants - and, to Tessia's delight - regular trips to the great city of Imardin.

But along with the excitement and privilege, Tessia is about to discover that her magical gifts bring with them a great deal of responsibility. For great danger looms on the horizon for Tessia and her world.

- Read the Black Magician trilogy before this and was entertained and like it well enough to warrant to read the other series. So far this is OK as it have all the elements of the Black Magician trilogy that I like. Simple, straight storyline, story of a girl finding her own path.

- I find it a bit repetitive with some of the storyline in the Black Magician trilogy. Not exactly the same, but I felt like I had been this road before.

- The characters are mostly straightforward.

- The ending feels a bit ambiguous, but we did know what is gonna happen afterwards as this book is more of a prequel.

- Also the ending feels a bit rushed and anti climactic. It feels flat after all those chasing. Ini je ???

- Overall, entertaining read for YA. Not groundbreaking but worth a read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Apprentice.