Danielle's Reviews > Twelve Angry Men

Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: classics-recommended-reading, fiction, tidbits
Read in August, 2012

I love reading plays. So much drama and character development packed into such a quick read. I'd heard of this play, of course, but other than knowing it was about jurors deliberating, I had no expectations going into it. I was very pleased.
The jurists simply have numbers (Juror 2, etc.), and for the first couple of pages I wondered to myself how I could possibly distinguish them (without being able to put faces to the "names"). But their personalities and backgrounds soon became abundantly clear, and I was surprised at the end that I could describe each jurist and felt like I really knew them.
This play teaches a great lesson in a great way, but I love that it didn't leave things neatly tied up (I guess the nature of the justice system is that there's always room for doubt), and as a reader you're really left to form your own conclusions about whether the verdict was right, and what the motives of each jurist were. I found it excellent fodder for rumination, and since the investment of time was so minimal, I thought this book had a great payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelve Angry Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gautam (new)

Gautam is it same as the Fonda's movie??

Danielle Yes, there is a film version of the play.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby Have you watched the old black and white movie version? I think I wrote a paper about it for a film class. I remember liking the story quite a bit, but I can't remember what happened. Maybe I should read the play again. Someday.