Rob's Reviews > One Last Thing Before I Go

One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper

Aug 26, 12

Read in August, 2012

Drew Silver is the former drummer for a one hit wonder band whose life has fallen apart following the demise of his band. He's living in a dismal building full of fellow divorced men, his ex-wife Denise is getting married to a doctor, his daughter Casey is a stranger who just found out she's pregnant, and Silver has just found out he will die if he doesn't get a heart operation. His decision to NOT get the operation drives the narrative of One Last Thing Before I Go as Silver tries to figure out if anything's worth living for after he's lost it all.

Jonathan Tropper continues the themes of his previous books about the ties of family and friends that bind us together and the continual struggle to find happiness among the dysfunction. While Silver's potentially fatal illness and his decision to forgo treatment seem contrived, Tropper uses this decision to find the humanity and basic goodness in all the characters, who all ring true in their reactions.

Although One Last Thing Before I Go is about a man's potentially suicidal decision and deals with themes of sadness and lost, it is a very moving and ultimately uplifting book as it examines the ties that bind us into extended families of blood relatives and friends. Highly recommended. (Note: I received a free advanced reader copy of this book to review.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Last Thing Before I Go.