Book Him Danno's Reviews > Operation Napoleon

Operation Napoleon by Arnaldur Indriðason

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 26 to 27, 2012

I love this author and wish I could read Icelandic so I could read them before they are translated. It takes years to get one of his books because of the speed of the translation. My husband discovered this author before our trip to visit my parents in Iceland a few years back. They were serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Selfoss Iceland and we took our two oldest with us to visit them.

We read Jar City and Secrets of the Grave before going and it gave you a view of Iceland that most tourists are not going to see, including us. We stayed with some friends my parents had made and found Iceland to be a spectacular place to visit and even somewhere we could consider retiring to. The landscape is beautiful and rough, the people are sweet and welcoming. We had a wonderful two week trip that I will remember fondly forever.

Back to the book. This is a stand alone book not related to this author’s series. It is a thriller that keeps you turning the pages late into the night. A crashed plane carries a secret that could destroy US relations with the world. The plane is lost in a glacier in 1945 only to resurfaces in 1967 and again in 2000. The glaciers in Iceland take things an then years later give them back, causing the US to mount a group to find and recover the airplane at last…hiding the secret forever.

Lots of things happen that were not in the plans and that add to the suspense and wonder. Many deaths and questions hang in the air and even the last two words at the end of the book still make you wonder. What really happened and who knew about it all?

If you like mystery/thriller you will enjoy this book. It moves fast and keeps you reading. This is an author not to miss if you love a good mystery…his series is fabulous also.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation Napoleon.