Grace's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Aug 26, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

Well. I officially spooked myself by knowing all of the cases referred to in this book. This is what happens when you read too much Crime Library in college. Hm.

The Aurora series certainly has the same flavor that Harris used later in the Stackhouse series - a quiet small town with multiple generations and long memories. I like that flavor, so this was an okay read for me. The mystery went along at a good clip, and because I had knowledge of true crimes I was actually able to guess a few things ahead of time. But honestly, it does sort of feel like something's lacking. I think it's because I read Stackhouse first, and so there's a level of intrigue that is missing in these books. But... I like the Shakespeare series, and that one doesn't have any supernatural stuff in it? Hm again.

There's something unconvincing in here for me. The part I like best involved Aurora's 6 year old brother and the way she interacted with him, I think. That and the other characters in the town. But something just doesn't tie together for me in this book, and it was not as enjoyable as I expected it to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.