Alecs's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Aug 26, 2012

Read from August 26 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

2 days ago I was in the bookstore not looking for anything in particular. Okay, maybe that's exaggerated. Of course I had the intention of grabbing a good read after midterms but I don't know what.

That little book in the corner with the gorgeous cover...Maybe it called to my body. Maybe my soul was unconsciously looking for it. Maybe it was just purely coincidental.

Nevertheless, the purchase was made and the adventure began.

I started reading it the next day after eating lunch. Took a three hour break. Resumed. Had another break. Finally finished it just a little bit past midnight. It maybe took me less than 7 hours. I slept for maybe a little less than 6 hours, woken up by thoughts I didn't recognize. Was it A telling me his story? His thoughts? The real deal? The things that were failed to be written down on paper? Because words were full of meaning but lacked sensation.

For that moment those words in my head maybe mine or not mine, conjured up or influenced, well thought of or just flew in. But it was, for sure, not a dream. A's thoughts. A's memories. A's future. It woke me up at past 6.

Maybe because I read it before I slept or I over think things (possibly the former but...) Still my mind was filled with it and I couldn't go back to sleep.

Personally, i think it was a mix of Ann Brashares' My Name is Memory, Neal Shusterman's Everlost, Perks of being a Wallflower, and many more.

But it was different. And it was unique.

And David Levithan wrote it.

I couldn't stop thinking of it. A. Rhiannon. All the lives he (in my mind, he's really a guy) encountered. All the lives he interacted with. Everything. The plot. Their relationships. Each unique situation was an adventure.

It was heart wrenching. Lifting. Breaking. Light. Deep. A joy to read. Something to think about.

And I think Plato won this. Would you do the right thing if nobody sees you? If you could always get away with it?

Another amazing read :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.