Trish's Reviews > Bones of Contention

Bones of Contention by Jeanne Matthews

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: put-aside, australia, fiction, mysteries, audio
Read from August 26 to September 13, 2012

I gave this a try--audio, then paper copy. Matthews tries to keep the laughs-a-minute going but it becomes unbearable. Too many asides and innuendos...I was exhausted waiting for something to actually happen. Well past 100 pages into it, I found even the Australian part of it was corrupted with attempts at humor. I noticed on the new Downpour.com site, which is an audio download company, that the Poisoned Pen Press generally publishes cutsey cozies that I am not usually interested in reading. I just got off on the wrong track here, though I did try to figure out if it was the reading I didn't like. It wasn't. The reader gave a faithful rendition of the writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones of Contention.

08/26/2012 page 120
48.0% "I am listening to this and am finding it rough going. The premise, that a beloved and very rich uncle would die rather than submit to the indignities of last-stage cancer, I guess I can understand. That his "loving" family would gather and fight over his wealth before he bequeaths it, is unbearable. Not liking this."
09/06/2012 page 120
48.0% "Am gonna flip through the paper copy to see if this is salvageable."